Saturday, July 24, 2010

Un-School on Saturday

Miriam came over while I was planning the menus and writing up a grocery list, and pointed to some of the words for me to read them. I did, but chose one to write in neat print, opposed to the chicken scratch I normally scribble in. She copied it and asked for another. That's not the first time a grocery list has turned into a lesson.
Grocery lists and menus make great teaching tools. Here are a few reasons:

1. Kids want to do what Mom is doing.

2. Kids want to learn things in the context of something in life that they can relate to.

3. It sets a good example to always plan what you are going to eat and buy in advance so you eat healthier, save trips and save money.

4. It turns ordinary excursions into jolly holidays when your little ones get to be involved in the planning and help with real, grown up things.

I wish I had taken my camera with me to the grocery store today, because Virginia scanned nearly the whole lot at the self check-out and didn't mess up once!

3 comments:

Evangeline said...

What a great idea! I'm always trying to get time to sit quietly to make the menu and shopping list, but I bet Lacey would love to help me! I took her shopping with me this Saturday, and although she couldn't read all of it I let her hold the list. I would read about 4 things at a time that we needed, and she would remind me what to get next after we picked up an item.

Sara said...

Thanks, Grace. Lacey will probably be reading the list off to you before too long.

At other times I have let the girls make their own lists of 3 or 4 items. They can choose a color or two (fruits or veggies) a protein and a whole grain. Or ingredients to make a dessert or snack to share. I also let them bring their own shopping bag into the store, which makes it super fun. Then they come home and play shopping to stretch out the funness!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea and so practical!